Sunday, December 12, 2010

Extreme Weather: A Book In Review

As I've been away from this blog and haven't posted anything for the past three months (and two days, technically), I am wanting to get back to it. To ease myself back in, I'm going to write a review of an excellent book I read recently.

This book, Extreme Weather: Understanding The Science of Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Floods, Heat Waves, Snow Storms, Global Warming And Other Atmospheric Disturbances; was written by H. Michael Mogil, a professional meteorologist living in Naples, Florida. He also runs his own company, How The Weather Works.

If you are wanting to learn about weather, this is the book for you. 304 pages long, with a reference section that includes links to information related to each chapter, a glossary, and a list of recommended books for further reading. On top of all of this information it is an extremely well-written book. I have read a lot of weather-related books, and this one is the best of my collection, and that includes several college level meteorology books I've been given. Not only was it well-written, it was also very easy to understand. Several of the topics discussed are somewhat complex, but in this book they are explained in a way that is both easy and fun to read. Despite already having read about a lot of the information in the book, I found that I could not put it down and was highly disappointed when I had finished it.

Even if you've read weather books before, you haven't read one like this. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in weather, regardless of their  knowledge level. Extreme Weather is not a one-stop shop, as it doesn't cover everything weather-related, but it does exactly what it was intended to do in providing an easy, fun to read resource for those interested in weather.

The topics covered include tornadoes, heat waves, floods, snow storms, and global warming. Each topic has around 30 pages devoted to it. In those approximately 30 pages, there is just about everything you need to know about the subject matter (at a basic to intermediate level). Overall, it is an amazing book that had a lot of time and effort put into it. The result is a phenomenal piece of work that is definitely in my top ten (among my weather books, #1), and one that you are sure to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment